Arizona Territorial Ranger Badge
The Arizona Territorial Rangers were formed in April 1860 by the Provisional Governor Dr. Lewis S. Owings with James Henry Tevis as their first Captain. The first Headquarters was in Piños Altos. When Arizona joined the Confederacy, the men that formed the Arizona Rangers joined the Confederate Army, disbanding the rangers (for the first time). By the 1880’s Indian problems and border crimes made Arizona an undesirable place to live. The men were asked to join together again working on little or no funds to provide protection. It took until 1901 for a legislative act to approve the organization of the Arizona Rangers and provide funding. The act lasted until 1909 when a bill was created to abolish them.